I wrote a post last week about things buyers use to justify a low offer. As one example I listed kitchens and bathrooms that need updating. Jeff Fritzson inspired me to write more on the subject when he left a comment saying "Getting a seller to upgrade their kitchen or bathroom might be a stretch".
There are many inexpensive, do-it-yourself ways to improve the appearance of a kitchen or bathroom.
- Remove visual clutter. Remove most of the stuff on counters. Remove everything on the front and top of the refrigerator. Clear the space above cabinets.
- Remove dated curtains. In most cases, I recommend no window treatments in kitchen and simple valance in bath.
- Clean to a shine. This includes inside all appliances, inside all cabinets, and under the sink.
- Remove dated wallpaper. Buyers don't want to replace wallpaper.
- Fresh paint. Best bang for your buck....paint the walls in a warm, neutral color.
- Paint cabinets and add new hardware. Give old cabinets new life with paint. If cabinets are in good condition, adding new hardware could be enough.
- Replace light fixtures. New light fixtures add value to the home for very little investment.
All of these things are discussed during a Home Staging Consult. A professional Home Stager can provide you with a detailed to-do list specific to your home, including paint color selection and budget friendly lighting fixture ideas.
Professional Home Staging in New Hampshire
Portsmouth Rye North Hampton Dover Durham Barrington Rochester